Share This Article
We all know protein is essential for our body as it is an important building block for many parts of the body such as bones, muscles, cartilage and skin. Your body also uses protein to build and repair cells which is why protein is needed daily in our diet. If you’re having a hard time thinking of what to cook whether it’s for breakfast, lunch or dinner, check out these easy protein recipes that you can try at home.
1. Chicken Karaage
- 1 pound (0.4 kg) boneless and skinless chicken breasts/thighs, cut into cubes
- 6 tablespoons Japanese cooking sake (or Chinese rice wine)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 inches (7cm) fresh ginger, peeled and pounded with a mortar and pestle to extract 2 tablespoons ginger juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- corn starch
- oil, for deep frying
- Use paper towels to pat dry the chicken and transfer it to a bowl. Add in the sake, soy sauce, ginger juice, sesame oil and marinate for 30 minutes, best for 2 hours. Transfer the chicken pieces out of the marinade and coat them evenly with corn starch, in a plastic bag such as Ziplock. Shake off the excess cornstarch.
- Heat up a wok/pot of cooking oil. When the cooking oil is hot enough for frying 350°F – 375°F (176°C-190°C), drop the chicken into the oil and quickly deep fry them until they float. Transfer them out onto a plate and wait for a couple of minutes. Put the chicken back into the oil and deep-fry again until golden brown and crunchy. Dish out to a plate or bowl lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil, serve hot with a slice of lemon and mayonnaise.
Recipe from: rasamalaysia.com
2. Super Simple Salmon
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 (6 ounce) salmon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 lemon wedges
- Stir together the garlic powder, basil, and salt in a small bowl; rub in equal amounts onto the salmon fillets.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat; cook the salmon in the butter until browned and flaky, about 5 minutes per side. Serve each piece of salmon with a lemon wedge.
Recipe from: allrecipes.com
3. Garlic Butter Baked Chicken Breast
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 tbsp butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley – chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil – extra virgin
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Season chicken breast with salt, pepper, paprika and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the butter, Italian seasoning, parsley, and garlic. Set aside.
- In a cast-iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. When the skillet is really hot add chicken breast. Sear until golden. It’s about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Pour garlic butter mixture over the chicken breast. Place the skillet in the oven and cook until cooked through. It’s about 20-30 minutes or until chicken breasts get to an internal temperature of 165F.
- Remove from the oven. Using a spoon, pour some of the butter sauce left in the skillet onto the chicken breast before serving.
Recipe from: primaverakitchen.com
4. Peanut Butter Protein Pancakes
- 1/2 cup egg whites*
- 1/3 cup organic rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 banana quartered and sliced
- Combine oats, baking powder, egg whites, peanut butter, 1/4 banana, and cinnamon in a blender and mix until you have a batter.
- Coat a non-stick pan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Pour pancake batter into the pan (the batter may be a little runny around the edges, so using a rubber spatula, gently pull the runny edges towards the centre of the pancake).
- Sprinkle in the remaining chopped banana (or any other stir-in you prefer!).
- Once the pancakes are firm and set up (this will take two minutes) flip and cook for another minute or until cooked through. Enjoy!
Recipe from: cleananddelicious.com
5. Chocolate Protein Powder Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup milk regular or almond milk
- 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- a handful of chocolate chips
- Whisk milk, protein powder, sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon in a small pot over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the rolled oats and continue to cook for 3-4 more minutes.
- Put the oatmeal in a bowl and put a handful of chocolate chips on top!
Recipe from: brooklyfarmgirl.com
6. Crispy Chicken Breast
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced dried chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Gather the ingredients.
- Prepare a 2-sided grill or skillet. In a shallow pan, combine the thyme, chives, basil, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, and salt and pepper. Drizzle the olive oil over this mixture, working it into crumbs gently, until crumbs are coated.
- Place chicken breasts between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Using a meat mallet or rolling pin, lightly pound the breasts until they are about 1/2-inch thick.
- Dip chicken breasts into the beaten egg.
- Then firmly press each egg-coated breast into the breadcrumb mixture until they are well covered in crumbs all over.
- Cook the chicken breasts on a 2-sided dual-contact indoor grill or a skillet for 4 to 6 minutes until thoroughly cooked to 160 F and juices run clear. If using a skillet, allow similar cooking time but always check the middle for doneness. Serve immediately.
Recipe from: thespruceeats.com
7. Grilled Chicken Sandwich With Cheese
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (Mexican blend or your favorite)
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped green olives
- 8 slices sourdough bread (or your favorite)
- Butter or buttery spread (I used Brummel and Brown)
- 2-4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese (divided, more or less depending on how much you sprinkle on each sandwich)
- Preheat oven to 450 degree F.
- Combine chicken, shredded cheese, and olives in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Butter one side of each of the 8 slices of bread with the buttery spread.
- Sprinkle 4 of the bread slices on the buttered side with some Parmesan cheese, and place them butter side down on a baking sheet.
- Distribute filling across the 4 slices.
- Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese on the buttered side of the last 4 slices of bread, and place them on top of the filling, buttered side up.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, then flip the sandwiches and bake about 6 minutes more, until the sandwiches are golden brown and crispy. (Alternatively, you can grill them on the stove top on a griddle or in a skillet).
Recipe from: dizzybusyandhungry.com
8. Baked Chicken With Honey Garlic
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs. (0.4 kg-1 kg) chicken thighs
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 dashes of cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Clean and rinse the chicken thighs. Pat dry with paper. Score the bottom of the chicken thighs. Cut 3 slits across the meat. This will ensure that the honey garlic marinade will get inside the chicken meat.
- Transfer the chicken thighs to a baking pan. Add the olive oil to the chicken, coat evenly. Rub the minced garlic into the chicken, make sure some of the garlic get inside the slits of the meat.
- Add the honey, salt and cayenne pepper. Stir and mix well with the chicken. Cover the chicken with aluminium foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover the foil and continue to bake for about 15 minutes – 20 minutes, or until the skin turns golden brown. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Recipe from: rasamalaysia.com