Share This Article
Fitness is not only about training hard and eating clean. You’re still able to eat the foods you love and achieve your fitness goals. The key is to be consistent and follow the 80/20 rule which is eating 80% whole food, 20% fun food.” – Timothy
1. Share with us a brief introduction of yourself such as where did you grow up, where are you from, what do you do for a living? Etc.
Hi, my name is Timothy Chan, I’m from Malaysia. I help people achieve their fitness goals and also live a healthier lifestyle.
2. What do you enjoy doing during your free time? Interests/hobbies?
I enjoy watching movies, scuba diving and working out. I also love creating fitness/ entertainment content on my Instagram.
3. What are the three fun facts about you?
- I can do a backflip.
- I like to sing regardless of where I am.
- I learnt how to play the piano and guitar when I was younger but decided to stick with the guitar.
4. How did your fitness journey start? Have you always wanted to be a personal trainer or fitness coach?
I used to get bullied a lot when I was younger. This gave me insecurity which is one of the reasons why I started working out – to look bigger and badder. I have been training for 6 years now and what gave me the idea of being a personal trainer was along my fitness journey, I had some strangers approaching me asking for fitness tips, some even messaged me on my Instagram because I post a lot of fitness stuff.
This got me thinking. “Hey! I could actually monetise what I’m good at, at the same time being able to help others”. So I started working as a PT (personal trainer) in a gym, got certified and along the years I started building my own personal branding and resigned from my previous company to coach on my own.
5. How does fitness impact you? What is your favourite workout routine?
Asides from helping me look better and stronger, it gave me more confidence. My favourite workout routine is the Push-Pull routine. I’m currently training 6 days a week.
6. Being a personal trainer, what are the challenges you face and what do you love most about being a personal trainer?
One of the challenges I face is when clients cancel on me last minute whereby I could have used the time to train others. Another challenge would be training myself at irregular times due to the PT (personal trainer) schedule which can be frustrating sometimes because I like training with my friends.
What I love most about being a personal trainer is I get to meet many new people, seeing them transform their body is my biggest pride.
7. If you could share a tip or two about what motivates you to work out, what are they?
Getting stronger and bigger is what motivates me to work out each time. There will be days where I feel lazy to train but I’ll just head to the gym regardless and train the best I can because a bad workout is better than no workout.
What I advise beginners is to be clear with their fitness goal and why they want to achieve it. And also don’t make working out a chore. Make it a lifestyle instead and they will be good to go in the long run.
8. Who is the one person you look up to the most and why?
Jordan Yeoh inspired me to create workout videos. He is my inspiration and it made me want to help others even more, which is why I post a lot of good and useful fitness content on my IG.
9. What is the best life advice you have for our readers who are on their fitness journey or trying to live a healthier, happier lifestyle?
Fitness is not only about training hard and eating clean. You’re still able to eat the foods you love and achieve your fitness goals. The key is to be consistent and follow the 80/20 rule which is eating 80% whole foods, 20% fun foods (sweets, ice cream etc..)
If you’re really serious about achieving your goal but do not know where to start, you can message me on my Instagram @timothyc.fitness and see how I can help you.
We hope Timothy’s story has inspired you the way it inspires us, to not let bullying affect you and instead turn it into a positive thing by being a better version of yourself!
Do you have your own story to tell? Drop us an email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Timothy’s Instagram: @timothyc.fitness